Monday, October 11, 2010

Week 40: Loaded Potato Soup

The Recipe
2 large peeled, cubed potatoes
1 cup water
8 bacon strips
2 large chopped onions
1 can condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted (400g)
1 3/4 cups milk
1 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pepper

Cook potatoes in water until tender. Meanwhile, cook bacon in a skillet until crisp; remove to paper towels to drain. In the same skillet, saute onion in drippings until tender. Add to undrained potatoes. Stir in soup, milk, sour cream, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat for 10 minutes or until heated through (do not boil). Sprinkle each bowl with crumbled bacon.

I couldn't find chicken soup so I used chicken-mushroom soup instead, but I doubt that made any huge difference.

The Verdict
I love potato soups and I love chicken soups, so I had high hopes for this one. Unfortunately I didn't care much for it at all. It tasted okay, but was much, much, MUCH too rich for me (foie gras rich). I think it may have been the chicken soup and it would probably have been fine if I'd used stock instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment