Monday, August 27, 2012

Week 34: Frikadeller

(a.k.a. Danish meat balls)

The Recipe
1dl oatmeal
1.5dl water
1 egg
500g pork/veal mince
2-3 carrots
4 pickles
1 onion
salt, pepper

Mix oatmeal and water together in a large bowl and leave it to soak for 5 minutes.
Meanwhile, chop up onion, carrots and pickles coarsely - I used a blender, but you could also use a grater. Add the vegetables, egg and mince to the bowl and mix thoroughly. Season with salt and pepper. Form the mix into meatballs - get your hands dirty, it's easier that way. I made mine of about 2tbsp mince each.

Melt butter in a pan over medium-high heat and cook the meatballs for 5-6 minutes on each side or until done.

Serve with cold potato salad mixed with some chopped up apple.

The Verdict
I haven't had a lot of luck with my frikadeller recipe - usually they turn out really bland and boring, so I don't make them very often. I know... shockingly unpatriotic for a Dane! Last night, however, my DH requested them specifically... the things I do for him ;) To my immense surprise they turned out FANTASTIC, so I figured I'd better write down the exact way I made them, so I'll be able to replicate it. They were terrific :D

No comments:

Post a Comment