Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Week 22: Orange Ice Cream

I just bought an ice cream maker the other day, and of course it had to be tried out as soon as the freezing element was cold enough!

The Recipe
3-4 egg yolks
60 g sugar
2 1/2 dl yogurt natural (~1 cup)
Juice from 1 orange (~1dl)
2 tsp orange zest
50 g dark chocolate, chopped
2 1/2 dl cream
2-3 egg whites

Whisk the egg yolks and sugar until light yellow and frothy. Add yogurt, orange juice, orange zest and chocolate.
In a separate bowl, whip the cream. Carefully mix it together with the orange-egg yolk mix
In another separate bowl, whip the egg whites. Carefully fold it into the cream.
Pour mixture into ice-cream maker and proceed according to machine instructions. I gave it about 45 minutes.
Transfer to freezer-proof tubs and freeze until completely solid (although do have a taste before then! 45 minutes is long enough to wait :) )

If you don't have an ice-cream maker, put it in the freezer straight away, and stir regularly for the first 4 hours.

The Verdict
GELATOOOOOO!!!!! :-D This was AWESOME! I'm so glad that my first try ended up so delicious :) I may do without the orange zest next time though - or at least grate it more finely. DH also suggested chopping the chocolate more finely. I liked the bigger pieces, but I do see what he means :)

But all in all - YUM! This was lovely :)

No comments:

Post a Comment