Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Week 16: Southwestern Chicken and Bean Soup

The Recipe
1/2 pound chicken breast meat, cut into pieces
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup salsa
2 cloves garlic, pressed
1 tsp ground cumin
250g white beans
1 small can (160g) corn
1 chopped onion
1 bell pepper

The original recipe called for browning the chicken first, but I couldn't be bothered doing that, so I skipped that step.

Add chicken to slow cooker. Add chicken broth, salsa, garlic, cumin, beans, corn, bell pepper and onion. Cover and cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours or until chicken is cooked through.

The Verdict
DH wasn't home so I used hot salsa instead of mild - and it really was hot! Next time I might use medium instead just to moderate it a bit ;-)

Still, I loved it :) The chicken shredded nicely, so it didn't matter at all that I didn't brown it first, and it was lovely hearty and warming. Definitely something I'll want to make again.

No comments:

Post a Comment