Sunday, January 10, 2010

Week 1: Pepperoni Roll

I tend to print out far too many recipes from the internet. Surely these printouts count as being among my cookbooks as well, right? After all, I need to get those thinned out as well!

The Recipe
Roll out pizza dough, brush it with a mixed-up egg and cover it with spices, pepperoni and a LOT of cheese. Add any other pizza toppings that strike your fancy, but remember you can't build it up too high, as you have to be able to roll it afterwards. Hold the tomato sauce, we'll get back to that later.

Once you've decorated the pizza to your heart's content, roll it up lengthwise, pinching the ends closed. Brush a bit more egg over the seam, and place it seam-down on a baking tray. Brush some more of the egg all over the top of the roll. This will make it turn a lovely golden. Bake it in the oven at 175C/350F for half an hour.

While it's baking, get out your favourite pasta sauce and heat it up. If you're feeling ambitious, add bell pepper, onion and chilli, otherwise just leave it as it is.

Serve the roll in inch-thick slices, spooning the pasta sauce on top.

The Verdict
Basically this just tasted like pizza, so nothing adventurous there. Both my husband and I like pizza though, and this took no longer to make and was a lot easier to serve, so it's being added to my regular repertoire. It's a lot handier for school box lunches as well.

I don't want any more loose paper, so I'm copying it into the one cookbook I hope to limit these printouts to.

No comments:

Post a Comment