Thursday, April 14, 2011

Week 15: Chicken Valdostano

This will be the last recipe for awhile - I'm off on vacation for 3 weeks, and will have no chance to cook while I'm away. I hope to catch up and post recipes retrospectively once I return, but we'll see what happens.

The Recipe
1 tbsp flour
3 chicken breast halves
1 tbsp butter
10 fresh mushrooms, sliced (~250g)
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup chicken stock
White pepper
3 slices prosciutto
3 slices cheese

Lightly flour chicken breasts, shaking off excess flour. Melt butter in a large skillet. Add chicken and saute until lightly browned, about 2 minutes each side. Remove and set aside.

Decrease the heat to medium low. Add mushrooms and cook until juices are rendered, about 4 minutes. Add wine and simmer until reduced by 1/4, about 3 to 4 minutes. Increase heat to medium high. Add stock and pepper and simmer until sauce is reduced, about 10 minutes.

Reduce heat to low. Top each chicken breast with a slice of prosciutto and a slice of cheese. Return chicken to skillet and cook just until cheese melts. Transfer chicken to individual plates and top each with some of the mushroom sauce before serving.

The Verdict
Tastes really good :) The first time I made it I pounded the chicken breasts flat - I forgot to do that this time, and it made absolutely NO difference. Since it made the dish a lot easier/quicker to make, I'll be making it this way in the future. The prosciutto and cheese (I used Gouda chili this time - YUM!) kept the chicken nice and moist.

No comments:

Post a Comment