Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Week 23: Coco-Lime Soup

The Recipe
150g pork chop or schnitzel in very thin slices (about 1/2x1/2x3 cm)
2-3 spring onions - sliced
1 tbsp oil
4dl stock (I used vegetable)
2dl coconut milk
1/2 tsp turmeric (optional)
1 tsp sugar
2.5dl frozen peas (~1cup)
1 tsp sambal oelek (optional)
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp concentrated lemon juice or the juice of one lime

Heat oil in a pot and cook meat until just browned. Add spring onions and cook for a couple of minutes. Add stock, coconut milk, gurkemeje and salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and leave to simmer for 5-10 minutes.

Add peas and leave to simmer for another 5-10 minutes.

Add sambal oelek, soy sauce and lemon juice / lime according to taste.

Serve with rice.

The Verdict
It has once again been proven - I do not like peas any way other than fresh or sugar peas still in the pod, so unfortunately that definitely detracted from this recipe.

But other than that, I'd have to say that I really enjoyed this :) I added a bit more soy sauce than the recipe called for, and a bit more sambal oelek as well (but then I love my food spicy) and it ended up being very yummy indeed! Definitely something I'll make again... although I'll substitute the peas for something else.

No comments:

Post a Comment