Monday, August 26, 2013

Week 35: Coconut Cookies

The Recipe
250 g flour
250 g margarine
130 g coconut flour
130 g sugar
½ tsp ammonium bicarbonate (hjortetaksalt in Danish)

300 g icing sugar
2-3 tbsp water
Essence of rum (optional - I didn't have any)

Mix first 5 ingredients thoroughly and roll them to 6 "sticks" about 40-50cm long (whatever fits your baking sheets). Don't worry too much about the thickness of them - they'll spread out as they heat up. Put them on a baking sheet and bake them at 200C until they're golden brown - about 12 minutes.

Mix the icing sugar and water to a thick paste. Add more icing sugar or water as necessary.

While the "sticks" are still warm put a thin layer of icing along the middle and cut them into 3-4cm pieces. They're very soft while warm, but will get more crisp as they cool down.

The Verdict
I was certain I was doing something wrong, because the dough was so sticky it was almost impossible to roll into sticks! I ended up just shaping them directly on the baking sheets rather than rolling them. It all evened out as they baked though, and once I added icing and they cooled down they ended up being just as I remembered them. Absolutely delicious :) I'll definitely be making these again.

No comments:

Post a Comment