Friday, September 13, 2013

Week 37: Strawberry Buttermilk

The Recipe
125g strawberries
1.5 tbsp sugar
5dl buttermilk
1/2 dl heavy cream (38%)
lemon juice

Put strawberries, sugar and 1/2 of the buttermilk in a blender. Add the rest of the buttermilk until smooth. Mix with the cream and lemon juice according to taste. Refrigerate until serving.

The Verdict
Usually I don't bother making this from scratch, because it's actually cheaper to buy already mixed in the supermarket. However, I had some left-over buttermilk from the Avocado dressing that I knew I wouldn't get around to using otherwise.

But DH and I both agreed - it's a fine way to use buttermilk that would otherwise just be thrown out, but though it's sacrilege we both agreed that we actually prefer storebought to homemade -- at least homemade by THIS recipe. However, there are as many recipes for buttermilk desserts as there are households, so it's probably just a matter of trying another. I picked this one as it seemed suitably easy and only used ingredients I already had.

No comments:

Post a Comment