Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Week 28: Watermelon Ice Cream

The Recipe
1 watermelon, without rind and seeds
2.5dl cream (1 cup)
1 lemon
2.5dl milk
2 tbsp rum or vodka
~1 dl sugar or to taste
~50g chopped dark chocolate

Cut the watermelon into pieces and run through a blender or similar.
Whip the cream until stiff and add the watermelon juice (strain it if you want - I didn't). Add the rest of the ingredients and stir carefully.
Pour mixture into ice-cream maker; proceed according to manufacturer instructions. I left mine for about 45 minutes.
Transfer to freezer tubs and freeze for another couple of hours until solid.

The Verdict
This recipe almost made for more than could fit into my ice cream maker! Just a heads-up. Again the consistency turned out weird, because the whipped cream gathered on the top, leaving the juice still completely liquid below. I stirred it when putting it into the freezer tubs, and again 2-3 hours later, which I think did the trick. The alcohol is to keep the watermelon juice from freezing too solid, but I don't think it worked too well - took forever to soften up after I took it back out of the freezer a couple of days later!

Not my favourite - almost too sweet despite the lemon - but I have a friend who I think will love it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment