Monday, December 14, 2015

Week 50: Crockpot Chicken with Cashews

The Recipe
400g chicken breast, sliced
1 bell pepper, sliced
8-10 cherry tomatoes
1 small can of corn (~140g)
2 tbsp cornstarch
1/4 tsp pepper
1-2 clove garlic, minced
4 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp sweet chili
2 tbsp ketchup
2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 tsp ginger
chili flakes
salt
cashews

Put chicken and cornstarch into a freezer bag, and shake until chicken is coated. Heat oil in a pan over medium/high heat and cook the chicken for 2 minutes on each side. Transfer to a crockpot and add bell pepper, tomatoes, corn and garlic.

Mix together soy sauce, sweeti chili, ketchup, vinegar, ginger, sugar and chili flakes in a small bowl and pour over the chicken. Season with salt according to taste. Stir to mix thoroughly, cover and cook on LOW for 2 hours. Add cashews and cook for another 2 hours.

Server over rice.

The Verdict
The sauce was a tad tangy, so I need to cut down on either the vinegar or the ketchup. I think I might try it without the vinegar next time. Apart from that it was really delicious though! The chicken definitely needed to be precooked to get the full benefit of the cornstarch (I love meat cooked in any kind of flour), and anything with cashews is a-ok with me :)

Definitely something I'll be making again. Despite it only being my husband and me, we barely had any leftovers at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment