Sunday, May 9, 2010

Week 18: Eggplant pasta

This week's recipe was a very nice surprise! I'd planned on making chicken satay, but discovered too late that it had to marinate for 3-4 hours, and as I don't get home from work until after 5pm, that just wasn't happening. Instead I found this recipe and thought I might as well give it a try.

The Recipe
1 small eggplant
1/2 can tomatoes
1/4 cup shredded mozzarella (about 1 handful)
2 cloves garlic
2 handful fresh basil
120g durum pasta
1tsp olive oil
salt, pepper

Chop the eggplant up into 1cm cubes and put them in a sieve or a colander, toss with salt and leave for about 30 minutes. Apparently this draws out some of the bitter taste of the eggplant. I have no idea how it would taste if you obit this step though. Meanwhile, boil the pasta according to the instructions on the bag.

In a pan (make sure it's large enough for the eggplants to be in one layer, or you'll get boiled rather than browned eggplant) heat up the olive oil and cook the eggplant, garlic and basil for about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, pasta and mozzarella and let it simmer for a couple of minutes until the mozzarella is melted.

The Verdict
Very yummy! However, either I didn't cook the eggplant long enough, or I ought to have peeled it before starting, because the skin was kinda chewy and not very tasty. Since I was alone I just ate around it, but I'll definitely do that differently next time. Delicious as a vegetarian meal, and the taste combination would work very well with bacon as well. Definitely a keeper! This recipe was a bit much for me, so I think double would be fine for 3 people - especially with a nice salad or some garlic bread on the side.

No comments:

Post a Comment