Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Week 6: Pseudo-Mulligatawny Soup

The Recipe
1/2 boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
2 tbsp butter, divided
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tbsp flour
1/2 tbsp curry
1/2 l chicken broth (~2 cups)
2.5 dl light cream (9-12%) (~1 cup)
1/2 green apple, diced
1/2 tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
pepper
chilli (optional, but you know I used it! ;) )

Heat 1 tbsp butter in a pot. Add chicken and cook until done. Remove chicken from pot.

Add the rest of the butter and reduce heat to medium. Add onion and garlic and stir to cook for a few minutes until onions start to brown. Sprinkle flour over onions and stir, then stir in curry. Cook for about a minute, stirring constantly. Add a bit of the broth if necessary.

Pour in chicken broth and cook for 5 minutes. Add cream, salt, pepper and sugar and cook for another 5 minutes.

Add chicken and apple and cook for another 7 minutes. Turn off and allow to stand 7 minutes before serving.

The Verdict
I've never had Mulligatawny soup before, and I was very unsure of what to expect - especially as it smelled kinda weird while cooking (not bad-weird, just unusual-weird), but it turned out surprisingly well, although possible more suited for a starter than for a main meal.

I do have a few ideas for changes for next time - I'd cut the chicken into too large pieces, so they came out sorta dry, also I don't care much for cooked apple, so I'll definitely substitute that with bell pepper or something similar next time - I think it might also benefit from adding a chopped potato or two. Finally, I'm thinking I could make it more authentic by using coconut milk instead of the cream. But as a 'starter' recipe it was really good, and I'll definitely be experimenting with ways of improving it.

No comments:

Post a Comment