Monday, February 14, 2011

Week 7: Mexican Chicken Lasagna

The Recipe
450g boneless, skinless chicken cut in stripes (1lb)
2 tbsp oil
1 bell pepper
2 medium-large onions
2 tbsp Fajita Spice Mix*
1.25 dl Salsa (1/2 cup)
1dl water
2 tbsp flour
2.5dl milk
Salt, pepper
5 soft tortilla big size
200 g shredded cheese, e.g. mozzarella

Chop onions and bell pepper and cook them briefly in oil in a large pot. Add the chicken and cook for another 5 minutes. Add the fajita spice mix and the flour and stir. Add the salsa and water and bring to a boil. Add milk and let the sauce simmer for 10 minutes. Add salt and pepper according to taste.

In a large ovenproof dish build a lasagna with tortilla, sauce and cheese. Start and end with tortilla.

Cook at 200C for 20 minutes.

* Fajita Spice Mix
I made my own. For the amount above you'll need
1/2 tbsp cornstarch
1 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp crushed chicken bouillon cube (that's about 1/16th of a cube... at least with the cubes we use here in Denmark)
1/3 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cumin

The Verdict
A terrific alternative lasagna! I loved the idea of using tortillas rather than pasta. I did think the sauce was overly heavy on the meat though, so I think I'll use 2 bell peppers next time - or perhaps add some extra vegetables. Since DH was home I used mild salsa, but you can definitely give it more of a kick by using medium or hot if you want to.

I loved it, and will definitely be making it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment