Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Week 11: Mexican Torta

The Recipe
1lb ground turkey (I used chicken as the store didn't have turkey - don't think that made a huge difference though)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 envelope taco seasoning
2 onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 std bag corn nachos (the original recipe called for corn tortillas, cut into wedges - I could only find flour tortillas, so figured the nachos chips would work better)
2 cups shredded cheese
1 (14oz) can beans
1 (7oz) jar red bell peppers, drained
Salsa

In a pan, heat olive oil over medium heat and cook onions until translucent. Add garlic and turkey and cook until the turkey is browned. Add taco seasoning and mix thoroughly.

In an oven proof dish put first a layer of nachos, a layer of half the turkey and cheese, a layer of nachos, a layer of beans and bell pepper, a layer of nachos, a layer of the rest of the turkey, a final layer of nachos, topping it off with the rest of the cheese.

Cook at 200C for 20-30 minutes. Serve with salsa.

The Verdict
Pretty good, but why oh why use a JAR of red bell peppers? Why not just chop up some fresh ones? I can't think that it added to the taste, so it just felt lazy to me.

The dish tasted fine, but it was no easier to make than regular nachos, and I actually like those better, so I don't see myself making this too often.

No comments:

Post a Comment