Monday, August 1, 2011

Week 30: African Peanut Soup

The Recipe
1/2 onion
2 green onions
1 bell peppers
2 cloves garlic
1 can tomatoes with chilli (~14oz)
8dl vegetable broth (I filled the empty tomato can twice)
black pepper
3/4 dl uncooked brown rice
1 1/4 dl peanut butter (to add later)

Chop all vegetables and put into a crock-pot. Add everything except the peanut butter. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Stir in peanut butter and cook for another 30-60 minutes.

The Verdict
You're supposed to cook it on high for the last 30 minutes, but my crock-pot doesn't come with a 'high' setting, so I increased the time to 60 minutes and cooked it on low instead. Don't know if this was what made the difference, but my peanut butter didn't fully 'melt', so I had to stir vigorously afterwards to get all the clumps out.

Even so, this was very, very good! I usually haven't had too much luck with my crock-pot, but this was definitely the exception that proved the rule. The different ingredients complimented each other nicely, and it turned out very tasty. I used crunchy peanut butter and loved the small pieces of peanut in my soup. I think it would have been even better if I had added bacon, but then everything tastes better with bacon ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment