Saturday, January 21, 2012

Week 3: Hoisin Turkey

The recipe
2 bell peppers, cut into bite-size pieces
2 small onions, cut into thin wedges
1 pound turkey breast, halved crosswise
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp black pepper
1dl orange juice
1dl hoisin sauce

First the substitutions.. I couldn't find turkey, so I used chicken instead. Nor did I have any hoisin sauce, so I used teriaki sauce instead. The rest is as listed though.

Place bell pepper and onion in a slow cooker; place turkey on top and sprinkle with garlic and black pepper. In a cup, combine orange juice and hoisin sauce; pour over all. Cover and cook on LOW for 3 to 4 hours.

Serve with rice.

The Verdict
I only discovered when I came to get the meal, that I'd accidentally cooked the meal on MED instead of on LOW for 4 hours. The chicken turned out to be lovely tender and moist though - not dry at all - so I guess no harm was done :)

One of the better crock-pot meals I've tried. It smelled fantastic while cooking, and tasted great too, although the taste of garlic was slightly overpowering. I think I'll use less next time and make sure it's fully submerged in the liquid, rather than lying on top of the chicken.

Other than that really good, and I didn't even need the chilli sauce to make it taste of something ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment