Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Week 4: Crock-Pot Chili

The Recipe
1 lb round roast (I ended up using pork because beef is too expensive)
1 tbsp yellow mustard
1 tbsp chili
1 garlic clove, minced
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 large onion, chopped
1 beef bouillon cube
29 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
14.5 oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 bell pepper, chopped

Slice the roast into strips. In a large bowl combine the mustard, chili powder, garlic, salt and pepper into a paste. Add beef and toss to coat. Add beef to bottom of the slow cooker. Layer onions on top. Crush the bouillon cube and sprinkle over the onions. Add beans, bell pepper and tomatoes over everything. Cook on low for 5-7 hours.

Serve over rice or with bread with shredded cheese and sour cream for toppings.

The Verdict
Well! For once being considerate of my DH backfired! I thought 1 tbsp chili sounded like an awful lot, so instead I used diced tomatoes with chili - usually plenty spicy for him when I use it in soups and stews etc. - but even he complained that this wasn't spicy enough! I've learned my lesson, and will be adding the chili the recipe calls for when I make this next! Because I'll definitely be making it again! Other than the blandness (which could be easily sorted by adding chili at the table) it was delicious, and really easy to make too :)

No comments:

Post a Comment