Saturday, March 3, 2012

Week 9: Ethiopian Chicken Soup

I'm obviously all about the crock-pot these days :-)

The Recipe
1 can stewed tomatoes (400g)
400g boneless, skinless chicken pieces (thighs, breast - doesn't matter)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice (less if you use concentrate)
2 tbsp butter
2 onions, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
4 small carrots, diced
1 small can of corn (~160g)
1 tsp ginger
1 tbsp paprika
a dash of cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tsp tumeric
2 cups water

This fit my 4.5L slow cooker perfectly.

Empty the tomato can into your cooker. Put in chicken and lemon juice. Add butter, onion, bell pepper, carrots, corn, and all the spices. Pour in the water (I used this to rinse out the tomato can). Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours (high for 4-5).

Five minutes before serving, take out the chicken pieces and shred them with a fork. Put the shredded chicken back into the slow cooker and stir to get everything mixed together (otherwise the tomatoes will still reside at the bottom).

The Verdict
LOVED it! Very little preparation work as only the vegetables needed chopping and there was no pre-browning, and it tasted great. This amount of seasoning was just right for my DH, but I added some chilli flakes to my portion at the table.

I think I'll use more carrots next time, as they basically disappeared, but apart from that, I've got no adjustments to suggest.

No comments:

Post a Comment