Monday, February 13, 2023

Week 7: Air Fried Roast Beef

The Recipe
750g roast beef (in Denmark, this is a particular cut - I don't know if it's the same elsewhere, or if it just refers to the manner of preparing it)
olive oil
spices - I used garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, salt and pepper

30-60 minutes before starting, take the roast beef out of the fridge and leave at room temperature.

Preheat the airfryer to 200C. I did this by letting it run for ~10 minutes while empty. 5 might have been enough.

Meanwhile, pat the roast beef dry with paper towels (as this lets the outside sear better). Drizzle a plate with oil and spices and roll the roastbeef across - I find this is the best way to get an even spread of spices.

Add water to the bottom of the air fryer (not sure if this is to make cleaning easier or to prevent the beef from drying out, but I'll take it either way), add the roast beef to the basket and cook at 200C for 5 minutes. Turn down to 180C and cook for an additional 20 minutes, turning the roast beef over halfway through. Check the temperature with a meat themometer at this point. You'll want it in the high 40s for nice, rosa meat, as the roast beef will continue to cook for awhile after you've taken it out of the airfryer. I let mine get to 52C, and that was definitely too much - it was only vaguely pink when I sliced it.

Remove from airfryer and leave to rest for 15-20 minutes before slicing thinly. I used this time to cook the potatoes in the air fryer :-D


The Verdict
I love roast beef, but always find it such a faff to get just right in the oven, so figured I'd give it a try in the air fryer instead. It turned out PERFECT and was so simple, so this is definitely how I'm going to make it going forward. I meassured mine to 47C after 20 minutes, so figured I'd give it an extra 3-4 minutes. That was definitely too much, so the 20 minutes is probably right for this size & shape (basically a cylinder). But even if it was a tad greyer than I prefer, it hadn't gotten dry at all, and was still really yummy. A firm success, and definitely my prefered way of making it going forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment