Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Week 1: Ham with apple/horseradish sauce

Third year running and I'm still going strong :) I'm loving trying out all these new recipes, and keeping a blog is keeping me accountable. This year I want to try to remember to take and add photos though.

This first recipe of the year is one my mother-in-law has handed down to me. It's one of my husband's favourite dishes, so obviously important that I got it right. Fortunately he was very appreciative :D

The Recipe
1lb ham
4 apples
2 tbsp shredded horseradish / horseradish paste (in Danish: revet, ikke høvlet)
4 tbsp water

Bake the ham in the oven or boil it in a pot, depending on your preference. Either way, the interior temperature should be 75C when it's done.

Prepare the apple/horseradish sauce in advance, as it's best cold.
Peel and deseed the apples, and cut them into wedges. Put them in a pot and add the water. Heat over medium-low heat until the apples are soft enough that they can be mashed with a spoon. Add the horseradish a little at a time until the sauce has reached the desired level of spiciness.

The Verdict
This was the first dish my mother-in-law served to me, and I started out being very dubious as I thought it just sounded weird. Being polite, I just took a small helping, figuring it couldn't be too bad. It wasn't - it was AMAZING! and I ended up kicking myself for not heaping on more ;) Fortunately my first attempt at trying to replicate it turned out really well, so I'll definitely be adding it to my repertoire as well :)

No comments:

Post a Comment